Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Importance of Being Ernest and Much Ado ...

My mum had another dose of chemo today - the final one before they hope to operate.

The treatment aside it's such a long day. In part it's down to the travelling to and from the hospital and part it's having to sit around waiting for blood tests, results of blood tests, the chemo itself and collecting the anti-sickness medication.













She'd not been looking forward to it at all because the last run was so tough but, actually, she's feeling quite good this evening and instead of falling into bed she felt like a movie.

So, with my daughter, we sat and watched 'The Importance of Being Ernest'. It doesn't matter how many times I see that it makes me laugh. I once played Gwendolen Fairfax, too, which makes it all the more incredible I can watch and enjoy it. (Didn't get to kiss Colin Firth though! And, actually, I can't remember *who* I did kiss. That's bad, isn't it!!!)

And then I remembered I never did come back and tell you how brilliantly successful my trip to London to see 'Much Ado About Nothing' was. It all worked perfectly.

The Novello Theatre is incredibly beautiful - but it would be very uncomfortable for anyone over 5ft 7". There really isn't much leg room. But the Royal Shakespeare Company production was interesting - and fun. They'd chosen to set it all in 1950s Cuba which made a change! At least, I think that's what they were doing because I didn't buy the programme. Instead we bought ice-creams and offspring number three was horrified that four small tubs cost £12.00. He stood in the line stating very loudly, 'that's a rip off'. Hugely embarrassed his siblings which was fun! :)









All three children were successfully 're-tuned' as planned so I came home feeling quite smug.

I know not everyone is as passionate as I am about Shakespeare but I'm convinced that's mostly down to it being taught as an academic subject. Unless you see it performed, and performed well, I don't think you've really experienced it.

However, offspring three says that, in his experience, 50% of Shakespeare plays are rubbish. So, I've still got a little work to do.

And ..

For those of you who are suffering with me on the Pink Heart Society diet experience - I've still not cheated and don't feel too hungry. Just enough points left for a glass of wine before bed. But I've not done any exercise and Trish is doing stacks. Hmmm

Oh and Ally has organised a lovely little logo thing - which I shall have to work out how to put on my blog - BUT I HAVE TO WRITE A BOOK FIRST!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hugs to your Mum, prayers and well wishes being sent to both of you.

    We all enjoy Shakespeare in our house, although I've only seen one performance at our local open-aired theatre. Whenever any of us have needed to study Shaky academically, we've had a lot of fun reading the plays together.

    I've yet to see The Importance of Being Ernest, I'm putting it on my To Be Watched list.

    Sue :-)

    P.S. I was sent C:AOG in my Feb Reader Subscription parcel, and I'm looking forward to reading it. (I'm finally about to read through January's TBR books, so I might not get to read it until Feb.)

     
  • At 10:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sending good wishes for your mum and family. Chemo can be awful, but it sounds like she's getting through it. It's awful when your parents are ill. When my Mum got really sick seven years ago, she nearly died in hospital and was so weak they didn't dare operate to try and make her better. It makes you think of their mortality and it can be frightening, so I know how you feel. Thankfully, my Mum is much better now and coping with her condition.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home