Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Still in the deadline cave ..

No, not out yet!

On the up side I'm enjoying my writing. This is a fun story, I think. Leastways I'm in love with my hero which is a very good sign.

I've decided to take the pressure off myself and simply have fun with it. I can only do what can be done. (If that makes any sense??) I've spent the last few weeks sleeping far too much. I can only assume that's stress. Or maybe I'm just exhausted from having to juggle far too many balls.

The very good news is that my mum is dealing with her chemo very well. Thank you so much for the lovely emails of support I've received. You're all very wonderful.

This month sees 'Millionaire Dad: Wife Needed' become a Silhouette Romance and I'm really excited by that. It was such an interesting book to write. Very early on I decided to give Nick a profoundly deaf daughter who used British Sign Language to communicate but I'd absolutely no idea how difficult that would be to execute. It's very tricky to write a conversation where both people are using their hands to talk!!!

As I've said in my 'Reader Letter' at the front of the book, I'm completely passionate about signing. I think it's one of the most beautiful of languages. So expressive.

Mind you, despite several years experience now I still don't approach the skill of the man who inspired me to learn it. I was acting in an outdoor production of Shakespeare's 'Much Ado About Nothing' and sat in the bushes waiting for my entrance completely mesmerised. Of course, it didn't hurt that the interpreter could easily be a potential candidate for a Pink Heart Society Male on Monday slot! :)

2 Comments:

  • At 10:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is BSL the same as Makaton signing? My children were taught to sign using Makaton at nursery and it's also used on a kids program called 'Something Special' which is great, I think. It fascinates me, I have to say. I'll try and get your book to see how you portrayed it in the story. Glad to hear all is well.

     
  • At 7:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So pleased to hear that your Mum is coping with the treatment. Thinking of you all and sending every good wish.

    Take care,
    Mags

     

Post a Comment

<< Home