Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Friday, December 15, 2006

It's all happening in our house



I've gone on strike! And, to be perfectly honest, I'm quite enjoying it.

For some time I've been trying to get my boys to do more. Work as a team ...

I started small and decided to work on specific tasks. I began with the things that have to be done every day. So, 'please clear the breakfast things and stack them in the dishwasher', 'Please clean your teeth before school without having to be asked', 'Please put your shoes on the shoe rack rather than in the middle of the sitting room'. You get the picture???

It's not that they don't want to help. It's more that they 'forget'. Oh and it has to be fair.

This morning was particularly hopeless.

So I made the decision to do nothing myself. (Instead I've done the proofs of 'The Tycoon's Princess Bride'. I do hope I've not missed anything!) You probably don't need too much of an imagination to picture the reaction in our house this evening when they found everything exactly as they left it and no food for tea. :)

It focussed the mind wonderfully. I've now got all the school uniform washing sitting in the linen basket, the sitting room has been dusted, the dishwasher is on, son number one grated cheese, son two cooked omlettes, son three prepared the salad and son four laid the table. I hope their future wives are very grateful!!!

8 Comments:

  • At 7:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WOW!!!! Thats four wives that actually stand a chance of LIKING their mil...

    Now theres just hoovering, DOING the laundry, ironing - and once you're lying on a chaise being hand fed grapes by one while one fans you and one each massages each foot - you'll know your work there is done...

     
  • At 8:25 pm, Blogger Natasha Oakley said…

    I'm working on it! lol

     
  • At 7:17 am, Blogger Kate Walker said…

    Great idea Natasha - nothing like a little healthy neglect to make those boys realise that the elves don't come out of hiding while they're at school and do everything. One day their partners will be grateful too! My son's girlfriend says I not only write great heroes - I bred one!

    Kate

     
  • At 8:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been soooo tempted to do the same thing! Perhaps Is hould stop caving and just do it.

     
  • At 9:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yayy Natasha, good for you! I wish I'd been tougher years ago, but it's never too late.

    My two are 17 & 14, and the whole family also now take it in turns to cook... I used to feel guilty that I'm no longer able to do the stuff I used to, but what we tend to forget is that they're learning valuable skills for the future - and we'll worry less knowing they can be independent! Good news all round.

    Sue :-)

     
  • At 7:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you! My littlest keeps her room tidy (but then again, she's a princess) and son... let's just say, when we had a mouse problem last year, it was HIS bedroom they chose for a reason *g*

     
  • At 2:28 pm, Blogger Jopee said…

    LOL Natasha! Why do it yourself when you have 4 to do it for you?!? ;-) Must seriously think about getting my little one started. Sometimes though its just easier to pick things up than go on and on about it. Oh, and that goes for my NOT-SO-LITTLE one as well!

     
  • At 5:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, well done!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home