Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Burns Night

Tonight is the night to honour Scotland's favourite son. Certainly the night to curl up in front of a roaring fire and read poetry. If you're planning on doing the full Burn's Night Supper you might want to click here.

This is probably the time to confess I'm not doing anything until tomorrow night. If you're going to imbibe whisky it's better not to have to get up too early the next day. I've finally decided against making cranachan as my contribution. I'm going to make a version of Tipsy Laird Trifle. I think! You were not at all helpful, by the way.

This one is the creation of TV chef James Martin.
Ingredients
6 tbsp whisky
1 orange, juice and zest
5 trifle sponges
450g/1lb raspberries
110g/4oz white chocolate, grated
1 carton good quality fresh custard
400ml/13fl oz double cream
1 tub mascarpone cheese
55g/2oz toasted flaked almonds

Method1. Mix the whisky and the orange juice and pour in a shallow bowl. Slice the trifle sponges in half horizontally. Dunk each piece in the whisky and place them in the bottom of the trifle bowl.
2. Scatter the raspberries over the top, then the chocolate.
3. Top with the custard.
4. Whip the double cream until half whipped, combine with the cheese and spoon over the trifle. Scatter the toasted almonds over the top just before serving.



Sounds nice, doesn't it, and not too time consuming to make because I really need to concentrate on my book. Despite having committed the unforgiveable sin of delivering it late, at the moment it's still heading for a December 07 slot which means I get to make it Christmas. I'm threading decorations through as we speak.

I may even succumb to snow. The practical side of my brain is whispering that it rarely snows in December in this part of the world. (End of January is more usual.) But, this is life turning out the way we want it and I always hope for a white Christmas.

It's about ten minutes until the school run - which is why I'm allowed to blog. (I put that in for my poor editor.) When I get home again I'm going to be very bad and settle my brood down in front of a DVD and hide away and write.

I'm feeling more bouyant now than I have in weeks. I've just heard my mum has made it through her operation okay. Next step will be to discover how much of the cancer they've been able to cut away. But that's for another day. Right now, I'm going to enjoy where we've got to.

9 Comments:

  • At 6:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It depends on where you set it. Up North we do often get snow/freezing cold weather during December. Of course it rarely makes headlines as it is supposed to happen. We did not have awhite Christmas this year, but definitely did in 2005...

    Fantastic news about your mother. Fingers crossed and prayers winging that they have got all of it.

     
  • At 7:39 pm, Blogger Natasha Oakley said…

    No snow in London, Michelle, which is where my story is set. It's very rare in December and isn't exactly 'romantic' either as it becomes mushy very quickly. Oh well, I shall have to be clever!

     
  • At 9:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great news that your Mom came out of her operation OK. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next step.

    Marcy

     
  • At 9:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fabulous news about your Mum! (( ))

     
  • At 12:44 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Natasha,my mil grew up in London and loved it.

    Good luck with the edits!

    Burns Night. The Tipsy Laird Trifle sounds delish!

    Prayers for your mom. My mother very recently got the all clear from her breast cancer. I hope your mom will receive more good news too.

     
  • At 6:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good news about your Mum, Natasha. And thanks for the North and South dedication on PHS. It's great. And what can I say about those links to Heathdances...? Be still my beating heart!

     
  • At 8:04 am, Blogger Kate Walker said…

    Natasha, love - I'm so happy to read the great news about your Mother. She and you were in my thoughts all day. And I hope that the results of the op will be even better than you dreamed of.

    But snow in London? Not pretty. If you want snowy inspiration you dshould come and visit - it's right outside my door

    Love

    Kate

     
  • At 1:04 pm, Blogger Trish Wylie said…

    You know I'm chuffed to bits about your Mum - baby steps babes, baby steps...

    B-A-D Tipsy trifley thing. VERY BAD.

    And I'm STILL looking at youtube clips thanks to you!!!! You're a very bad influence.... ;)

     
  • At 2:10 am, Blogger Ally Blake said…

    Fabulous news about your mum ! We are all thinking of her, and you.

    That deserves a trifle of any sort methinks...

    Ally

     

Post a Comment

<< Home