Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Still in that cave

People often ask me where, with five children, I find the time to write - well this is the answer. It's 1.00 am, my time, and I'm here. Still doing that night-time thing with Trish (who is back in her cave tackling revisions). Ally is attacking her revisions but, of course, it's day-time for her. Nic (day-time) is powering on with her latest book.

And I'm here doing mine. I love this book! This is a coffee break. Honest.


I've just written a gorgeous scene (leastways it works for me and, at this stage of things, this story is all mine) and have broken off to grapple with food decisions. Do I wish my hero and heroine to eat sebadas or sospiri d'orani? Sebadas, by the way, is cheese cooked in a thin pastry shell and topped with bitter honey. And sospiri d'orani is an almond-based sweet. Choices, choices ...

I love food in books. And smells. Falling in love should be all about the senses, don't you think? So shall the air be filled with oleander, sumac or pine? Or all three? And did you know that there is a variety of sumac known as lentischio? Didn't know that??? Well, let it not be said I don't do my research!

Back to work ...

6 Comments:

  • At 1:30 am, Blogger Trish Wylie said…

    Oooh doesn't that all sound gorgeous???

    The only senses I can outline to you over here would be those of blood, sweat and tears...

    Can we sleep before 5am tonight do you think??? Pweeeezzzzeeee....

     
  • At 2:07 am, Blogger Natasha Oakley said…

    Hate to say it, but I think we might have to. 3.00 am and I'm making more coffee ...

     
  • At 2:39 am, Blogger Ally Blake said…

    You guys is nuts! But I love it because you are out and about during my daylight hours which is nice.

    I love all the food stuff you put in your books Natasha, makes me feel like I'm in The Age of Innocence. Never have I been hungrier when watching a movie!

     
  • At 7:05 am, Blogger Liz Fielding said…

    I'm with Ally, totally nuts. And hungry.

    But I've done the midnight oil stuff in my time. Now the children are flown and my time, pretty much, is my own. If it's any help, I write less rather than more...

    Good luck with finishing!

     
  • At 10:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooh, yum - lovely pic. And now I'm hungry. With you re the food - this is why there's a recipe in all of mine (and my hero is just cooking dinner for my anti-domestic-goddess heroine).

    Oleander is poisonous, btw - so if we're talking Greece I'd say thyme. (And thyme produces lovely, lovely honey...)

     
  • At 10:49 pm, Blogger Natasha Oakley said…

    I can do whatever I like! It's my entirely fictional island and I'm being very self indulgent with it.

    But it's warm and the sea is that lovely turquoise and there's always more wine in the bottle!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home