Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Having it all ...

This has been a difficult week. The kind where I feel I'm having to juggle so many balls it's simply inevitable I will drop some. Since perfect people are incredibly irritating you'll be pleased to know I've dropped plenty!!

It's the school holidays and that always makes finding writing time difficult. Trouble is my deadline is looming and I simply have to get on - which makes me feel so guilty. And to make matters worse Ally, Trish and Nic are storming ahead. You'd think they'd slow down in sympathy, wouldn't you??

Everywhere I look there's something that needs to be done. I really should have listened to my mum. She told me when I had my fifth child (fourth son) that my future was bleak. She said I'd have to make four family-sized treacle tarts per meal ... and she wasn't exaggerating!

My moan of the morning has been the state of the kitchen. For some reason the male contingent have spent the past three days digging large holes in the garden. It's not that I mind them building camps, but I do object to the huge quantity of mud they've traipsed through the house. And I *really* object to the general feeling that it is 'my' job to clean it up. I mean these boys will eventually grow up and marry assorted girls who will blame me for the fact they leave their dirty socks in tight balls exactly where they took them off!

Tips anyone???? It would be nice to think my daughters-in-law won't completely despise me ...

2 Comments:

  • At 10:26 am, Blogger Susan Rix said…

    Oh my goodness, five children? How do you get any writing done?! (You are an even bigger inspiration to me now!)

    You are right to object to cleaning up after them. My only tip is to carry on objecting.

    If they refuse to clean up after themselves when you've asked them, next time they want you to do something, remind them that if they won't help you, you won't help them.

    My two (daughter and son) are in their teens, and the message is finally sinking in...

    (Btw I missed my delivery this morning of my recent HMB purchases - which includes 'Millionaire Dad: Wife Needed' - I'm peeved I've got to wait another few days!)

     
  • At 11:32 pm, Blogger Romance, Rumours and Rogues said…

    Natasha,
    you're a whiz! With 5 kids, I don't know how you manage to get any writing done at all.
    So give yourself a break.
    I've had a bit of a freakish week word-wise, just pushing through to the end, but had several quiet weeks before that, so take it easy.
    Maybe time for another of those delightful laptop days at the local cafe you mentioned a few weeks ago? That sounded so appealing...I can't wait for the day I can do that too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home