Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Beginnings and other nonsense

Today I have to write. No procrastination, no excuses ...

Once I get properly started I'll be fine, but it's a newish book and I so hate beginnings. The characters don't feel quite real yet and, to be honest, I'd rather go out to lunch! But, my deadline is looming faster than I care to think and I have no choice but to get my bottom on the seat and start typing.


So, here's Isabella Fierezza.
Actually, I think I'm liking her. Of course she's very, very beautiful - which would normally be irritating, but I think that's going to be the point. Perhaps she finds it irritating, too???


I'm imagining someone with a kind of inner glow. A woman with the sort of beauty that means she has few girlfriends because she makes us lesser mortals feel inadequate.

At least, that's what I'm thinking now ...

She's also 'royalty' which must be an enormous dating handicap, wouldn't you think???

The other, very interesting, thing about Isabella is that her story is Book 4 of a new Harlequin continuity - which means there are things about her I've been given and cannot change. Like, for example, the fact that she's royal. She's also 5ft 8" tall with honey blonde hair and has a brother called Marco ...

Apparently authors fall fairly neatly into two camps - those that like writing continuity books and those that don't. I think I'm going to be in the former group. I have no problem with being being given the bare bones of a character to flesh out into a living, breathing woman. It feels very similar to being cast in a play ... and I loved that.

Today, I'm missing my former life. Most of the time I prefer writing to acting - mainly because of the obvious benefits of not being out of work, not having to worry about what I look like, not having to be away from home for long stretches ...

But, today, I'd love to be going off to rehearsals. I'd like to meet up with other creative souls and bounce ideas about.

Instead it's me and my muse. Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

  • At 3:09 pm, Blogger Susan Rix said…

    Hi Natasha! (I've jumped across from Fiona's)
    I LOVE the sound of your heroine. She's both gorgeous *and* fascinating.
    I'm off to buy a copy of Millionaire Dad: Wife Needed, and that's not just because your hero is based on Clive Owen ;-)

     
  • At 1:37 am, Blogger Romance, Rumours and Rogues said…

    Your royal heroine looks stunning, Natasha.
    I'm intrigued already.

    I happen to be writing one very sexy bad boy prince at the moment and loving it.

    Better keep the two apart, never know what they might get up to ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home