Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Okay, it's war!

It's war in the world of romance fiction!

With deadlines looming (hers closer than mine, incidentally), Ally Blake and I agreed to swap word counts at the end of our writing days. Harmless fun, you might think ...? Encouraging? Motivational, even??

Not a bit of it. She's exhausting. In order to beat Ally's word count of today I have to write 3000 words - all the while knowing that she's out for the evening sipping wine. My only hope is that she decides to delete a chapter or two - preferably two! Or, perhaps, we can hope that the alphie doesn't transfer the text properly and she'll have to re-type the lot. That might buy me a bit of extra time ...

So far I've had a fairly unproductive day on the writing front, but fairly positive on the 'mum' front. Son number 2 and I even baked a cake, which was very 'Nigella Lawson' of me.

But, now I must focus. It's only half past nine in the evening and I have Ally's 3000 words in my sight ...

I'll just leave you with the potential ModX hero who is currently languishing in Trish Wylie's inbox while she's away. I don't think he's a Harlequin 'Romance' sort of man.

Still, nice picture!

Nic, do you want to lay claim to Juan Pablo Di Pace before Trish gets back??? I think he's a dancer in real life and I can even get you his 'vital statistics' should you so wish.

10 Comments:

  • At 12:30 am, Blogger Romance, Rumours and Rogues said…

    Oh yes please!
    You are too kind, Natasha :)

    He is truly drool worthy.

    All vital stats appreciated!!!! ASAP please :)))

     
  • At 7:40 am, Blogger Liz Fielding said…

    I'm sad that you don't think this gorgeous hunk isn't an HR sort of guy, Natasha.

    I write about guys who look like that, brooding and dark -- sadly the marketing team at HR usually put some balding, overweight nerd with no dress sense (or even undress sense!) on the cover. Sometime today I will put my latest cover, alongside my own description of my sheikh on my blog. You'll see what I mean.

     
  • At 12:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very nice indeed, Natasha, and definitely worthy of a place in the Hero Database when Trish gets back from horsey pursuits.

    Great idea swapping word counts each day to encourage you along but I can understand the galling frustration, too! If it makes you feel any better, my word count is zero!!!

    Best wishes,
    Mags

     
  • At 4:33 pm, Blogger Natasha Oakley said…

    I've no particular objection to Juan being an HR hero, Liz - just this representation of him. And I just know Nic will make excellent use of him ...

     
  • At 7:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sometimes, Natasha, I think we're secret twins. There was the house extension done at the same time. Now we're both wrestling a new book into submission. Tell me - are you a Robert Plant fan as well???

    Hope the book behaves and the wordcount is going swimmingly.


    Oh, and JO is quite cute *g*

     
  • At 4:23 am, Blogger Ally Blake said…

    Okay, Natasha, my sweet, you'll be so pleased to know that yesterday's word count was...zero. With today's being about the same. Though I have five hours until hubby gets home, so I might get a little done.

    The wine sipping out with friends was very nice though!

    Very nice looking boy. Well found. Keep 'em coming!

     
  • At 11:47 am, Blogger Liz Fielding said…

    Now I'm being driven to dream up a scene where my hero looks exactly like this depiction.

    Not the wip, though. No water in sight... but I'm working on it!

     
  • At 11:14 pm, Blogger Trish Wylie said…

    I dunno... skip town for a few days and when you get back your *friends* are handing out hero's...

    Mmm... I have to go ponder whether or not I'm huffing... I'll get back to you...

     
  • At 7:24 am, Blogger Natasha Oakley said…

    You'll have to fight it out with Nick and Liz, Trish. *g*

    Glad you're back!

     
  • At 7:26 am, Blogger Natasha Oakley said…

    Nic, not Nick!!!! Aargh! See - one sound never post a comment when ones sons want to leave for school ....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home