Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Saturday, September 02, 2006

The new Harlequin 'Romance' is on the shelves!

I've just got back from Milton Keynes and look what I saw in W H Smiths!



Such a lovely feeling to see my 'Accepting The Boss's Proposal' on the shelves. And I fearlessly got out my camera in the middle of a shop full of hassled mothers buying up pens/pencils/rulers ... and took a photo. My children were an interesting mix of proud and embarrassed.

I think the UK slash of deep pink looks great - though I have to admit I prefer the NA white covers and that's the one I've chosen to use on my website. A huge amount of thought and planning went into these covers. I had to fill out detailed artwork forms before I'd even written the book. Apparently they produced four options - and they were sent off to focus groups along with the first three chapters.

One of the questions all the 'launch' authors were asked was what was the 'take home'? I was sooo tempted to write 'pizza' but didn't! In the end I went for 'hope floats' because the HEA is a real triumph of hope over experience.

Considering so much care went into them I find the final artwork choice very interesting. I like it as a cover - very much - but the London background is much more 'Tower Hamlets' then 'Covent Garden' (which is where the book is set).

Jemima's not the slightly overweight mum-of-two with red hair I imagined either. And I have absolutely no idea why she's holding a bouquet of flowers!

Myles is perfect. Tall, dark and impossibly handsome. You can't see his blue eyes - but you just know they'll be glinting!! I really, really love Myles. He's exactly what you'd not want to meet when you're nervously dipping a toe back into the world-of-work.

Trish Wylie's first ModX was also up there - looking wonderful. And I got a preview read of 'White Hot' so I can thoroughly recommend it!

The number of people who've visited the new Pink Heart Society blog is absolutely mind blowing. If you haven't been over yet, do. And keep suggesting authors who you'd like to see under the 'spotlight'.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi natasha! must be a wonderful feeling to see yourself shelved *g* new covers look wonderful and i will be picking yours and liz's up next time im out.

     
  • At 3:56 pm, Blogger Michelle Styles said…

    Congrats Natasha

    And here is hoping that they go as quickly elsewhere in the country as they have gone in Hexham -- sold out!

     
  • At 4:12 pm, Blogger Fiona Harper said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:14 pm, Blogger Fiona Harper said…

    Oops! Too many typos in my first attempt...

    Natasha, 'Accepting the Boss's Proposal' was a great read. I loved the way Jemima says she was 'two children too late' for clingy clothes. Now, that's a woman I can really relate to.

    I think we share a cover hero too. I'm sure the 'Jake' on my December release is the same guy as your 'Myles'. Same firm jaw and all.

     
  • At 7:01 pm, Blogger Natasha Oakley said…

    Me, too, Fiona. *g* I really must do something about the photograph I'm using on this blog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home