Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Friday, January 18, 2008

Still feeling bouyant!

And just look at what the lovely Kate Walker sent to help us celebrate. I still feel fairly shattered, but I suppose that's to be expected, and it's going to take a bit of time to sort out all the consequences from the last year and a bit. We'll get there and meanwhile I'm smiling!!

Which I think is pretty darn good considering I was the guest author at a book group this week. It was an .... interesting experience. I don't think there was a reader of romance there. There certainly wasn't a reader of series fiction in the room and I felt the full force of that. :)

I think my favourite question of the evening was, 'Before you wrote for Mills & Boon did you *actually* know anyone who read them???'

Er .. yes, I must have because there's a Mills & Boon book sold every five seconds in the UK alone. We're published in 26 different languages and sold in over 109 international markets. It's impressive stuff and it honestly mystifies me as to why people are so sneering.

It's almost as though they make an assumption that only ignorant women would choose to read series fiction when, actually, the statistics show something else entirely. Moreover, scratch beneath the surface of these 'intellectuals' and you often discover avid viewers of soaps and reality TV. Not exactly high-brow viewing, is it!

I think most women read different things at different times in differing moods. It's all about choice. What's truly wonderful about category fiction is that in the space of a long hot bubblebath you can experience the rush of falling in love. There are days when I really really want that. Other days I'll go for the book about the one legged lesbian who robbed a bank and then murdered her lover. Not often I admit. :) But you know what I mean.

This almost constant criticism was the reason why Trish, Ally, Nic and I set up the Pink Heart Society. Tomorrow I'm blogging over there. It's my turn to write the Weekend Wind-Down. Come and find me.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 7:20 pm, Blogger Trish Wylie said…

    LOL To the murder mystery plot... which of course doesnt follow a formula. Because all murder mysteries dont involve a MURDER and a MYSTERY...

    Well they can look down their noses all they want. Series/category romance ain't goin anywhere!!!

    Of course you'll have calmly set that champagne to one side ;)

     
  • At 4:07 pm, Blogger Kate Walker said…

    Those flowers do look lovely - (I have such great taste!) When you have somethng worth celebrating. . . And I hope you did NOT put that champagne to one side - if ever there was a moment to get decidedly tiddly .. .Oh, I forgot - when did we ever need an excuse?

    As to the down-their-nose lookers - category romance has been around for 100 years and it really, really ain't going anywhere. What do those statistics says? One in 3 women read them so maybe someone in that group was lying??

    After you with that book about the one legged lesbian who robbed a bank and then murdered her lover . . . No, on second thoughts, I have a pile of wonderful, well written, ENJOYABLE romances to read

     

Post a Comment

<< Home