Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I think I'm going to like 2008

I was beginning to wonder whether my blog was forever destined to be the depressing corner of the romance writing world - but it would seem I'm to have a break. I'll try and pass that on in your direction. :)

Yesterday was a turning-point day for me and mine. Scan results day. You'd think I'd be used to it all now. My husband was first diagnosed in 2000 and 'scan results days' have been a regular part of our lives ever since. But they really do loom on the horizon. Pressure building. All the different possibilities and outcomes swirling around your brain.

Actually, I think I probably handle it very badly. I seem to live all my troubles twice over. Once in my head as I imagine what might happen, and then again when they actually do! Must try not to do that!!

Last year, whenever there was the chance for things to go well or badly, they went badly. Like a pack of cards house everything has been falling down around me.

But this time it was all good.

The chemo has worked better than expected. And my husband has been put on a two year maintenance programme. MabThera isn't yet licensed by NICE for that use in England so the fact there's funding for it is amazing. For the moment I'm going to set aside any altruistic concerns about how unfair it all is and just be grateful.




Permission to get on with our lives.

Today I've let myself sleep. Not the most writerly of pursuits, perhaps, but it was necessary. And now I need to re-focus on my Sheikh.

Actually, I have two of them, Hamza and Rashid, on the go. I also seem to have created a nice future heroine in the shape of Minty. She would take over Rashid's story if I let her. And I'm wondering whether she might do very nicely for Nick, the close friend of Seb in 'Crowned: An Ordinary Girl'. Just a thought!

Labels:

13 Comments:

  • At 5:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Natasha,
    It's wonderful that the news for you all was so good.
    Happy smiles here for you.
    best,
    Rach.
    X

     
  • At 6:40 pm, Blogger Trish Wylie said…

    See now it'll be like DOMINOES and LOTS fo good stuff will start to happen - THATS HOW IT WORKS!!!!

    Sloppy wet kisses to the big man. You and me will just do the drinks thing at some point. But then we drink if the rain stops really, dont we... And now everyone on ure blog thinks ure and alcoholic. My work here is done i feel....

     
  • At 7:23 pm, Blogger Nell Dixon said…

    So glad it was good news!

     
  • At 1:35 am, Blogger Kate Hewitt said…

    Wonderful news, Natasha. Thrilled for you and your family!

    Kate

     
  • At 8:57 am, Blogger Kate Walker said…

    You know how I feel - I haven't stopped smiling since I heard
    Now you go and enjoy that smiling thing. I'm sure you can remember how to do it - and I'll join you and Trish in a lickle drink at some point too (just a lickle one . . .)

    love

    Kate ;o) :o) :o) :o) :o):o) :o)

     
  • At 10:14 am, Blogger Ally Blake said…

    Yaaaay Natasha!!!!!! Can I come to drinks with you and Trish as well?????

    Ally

     
  • At 11:28 am, Blogger carol marinelli said…

    Have already raised a glass!!
    Fab news and so deserved!

    Carolxxxx

     
  • At 12:34 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    Fab news!! I will be drinking with you all as well.

    Biddy xx

     
  • At 6:56 pm, Blogger Kate Hardy said…

    So pleased to hear the news. Brilliant. Sending you a big hug and a celebratory glass of cyber-champagne (we'll do the real thing in person later this year!)

     
  • At 6:53 am, Blogger Michelle Styles said…

    Sending you lots of cheers and congrats from up in Northumberland. Truly wqonderful news.

     
  • At 7:19 am, Blogger Liz Fielding said…

    That's just fabulous news, Natasha. I hope to give you a real hug when I'm in London next month, but for now I'm sending a cyber one.

     
  • At 9:51 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    HURRAH!!! Totally top news-- smiling here in Cheshire too!

    xxx

     
  • At 1:59 pm, Blogger Michelle Monkou said…

    You know the song - The sun will come out tomorrow...Sounds like it's shining brightly for you.

    Prayers and good wishes to you and yours.

    Michelle

     

Post a Comment

<< Home