Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Monday, January 07, 2008

Soundtrack

I seem to have been working on my current wip for the longest time. I swear it's not my fault. 2007 was the worst year I've lived yet and I'm now in that miserable limbo time while we wait for scan results to see how successful my husband's chemo has been.

But what does seem to have happened recently is the shock of having my blessed life unravel rather spectacularly has receeded. It just 'is'. Considering I'm a natural 'fixer' it's a little strange to be in a position where there's absolutely nothing I can do to make anything better.

And with acceptance has come the head space to get writing. So many people have said I must find it helpful to be able to disappear into a fictional world. Well, I'm here to tell you I think it depends how pressing real life is. This year there have been times when I've been so physically and emotionally shattered I've had nothing left to give to my fictional world.

But, now, yes. Disappearing into a world I'm controlling is delightful. Long may it last!

One of the negatives about writing a book over a long period is it can feel stale. So for the first time I've really bought into the collage idea. I'm surrounded by fantastic pictures that click me into the mood with a look. Yesterday, Trish gave me a present of my very own soundtrack - and do you know it works!

I'm a little amazed because I love quiet. There's something about this soundtrack which is working for me. Best not question it, eh!

So ........ here's what I'm listening to! Or part of it, anyway. The whole thing is 50 minutes long.



'Amazing' is kind of directional. It's where I'm headed. 'High' is more of a mood piece I think.



Picture me now with my headphones on looking a complete twit!!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 2:45 pm, Blogger Ray-Anne said…

    Then many of us also look like twits. I live in a semi-detached house and one wall seperates my office room from the baby's room next door.
    Headphones. And rechargeable batteries. Only way to make sure that my music does not wake baby at strange times of day and night.
    And congratulations on the positive vibes. You should be proud.
    I shall not mention the YouTube.
    Not going there. A 40 mins playlist means that you take the necessary rest breaks of course.
    LOL Ray-Anne

     
  • At 9:37 pm, Blogger Trish Wylie said…

    CANNOT BELIEVE you went and found youtube vids ALREADY.

    Sheesh.

    We gotta get those mugs in pink print tho...

     
  • At 9:58 pm, Blogger Natasha Oakley said…

    You know, that's *exactly* what we should do!!!! We ought to put Pink Heart Society on the back and the addy and get them ready for the next RWA conference, or maybe the one after that!

     
  • At 2:50 am, Blogger Kate Hewitt said…

    I'm glad the writing is going well now, Natasha. I will be thinking of you as you wait for your husband's scan results. Waiting can be the hardest part sometimes. My brother just put me on to YouTube videos and I'm hooked :)

     
  • At 7:39 am, Blogger Kate Hardy said…

    Mugs - cafe press???

    Enjoy your soundtrack and the nice flowy bit of headspace.

    Keep my fingers crossed for you re test results.

    lots of love to you
    Kate xx

     
  • At 12:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i love youtube - can easily waste a whole night there - love your books too - can, too easily, do the same!
    Keep writing for you and for your many fans.
    carol marinellixxx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home