Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Chemo Day and writing anyway

Today is my husband's fifth chemo session. They happen every three weeks and they take the entire day. Five or six hours of slow dripping. I've nipped back home ready to do the school run and then I'll return to the hospital, pick him up and bring him back to sleep.

This really has been THE most grotty year. But we've had some good news so despite it all I have to say I'm feeling bouyant. The latest scans show it's working better than expected. Just another three sessions to go after this one.

Meanwhile I've still got to finish my copy edits on 'Wanted: White Wedding'. I'm finding them so irritating to do because my head is busy with another story and I'd like to be able to get on with it.

This is just one of many images I've found of my fictional Amrah. If I tell you it's even more beautiful in my head you'll understand why I'd prefer to be there than conscientiously going through copy edits.

I'm so pleased to want to write again. For such a long time it's felt like a huge effort. Over on eHarlequin there's a wonderful blog on what keeps authors writing. I've loved reading it. You'll find it here.

There have definitely been weeks where I wondered whether I'd ever flick my laptop open again. The time I spent at the keyboard was time wasted, to be honest. And then suddenly I'm back. It's a europhic feeling.

I suppose all artists, whatever their sphere, have to accept that creating anything is not the work of an automaton. It's all about personal investment. I think I'm really lucky to have had an editor who believed in me and kept me going. Painfully slowly but still at the 'typeface'.

And, of course, my fellow Pink Heart Society editors - particularly Trish who nagged shamefully. Don't forget to keep looking at the PHS blog this month. You need to follow the Treasure Hunt to be in with a chance of winning this months fantastic hamper.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 2:11 pm, Blogger Trish Wylie said…

    Awwww and that nagging isn't a two way street of course precious...

    SO SO PLEASED FOR NIGE!!! Will embaress him with gratuitous hugs next week... ;)

     
  • At 5:30 pm, Blogger Liz Fielding said…

    I'm so glad your news is good, Natasha. And I love that photograph!

     
  • At 12:02 am, Blogger Romance, Rumours and Rogues said…

    That's great news, Natasha, about the chemo working. Fabulous.

    And I'm so rapt for you, getting back in the groove again.
    I think 'grotty' is an understatement for your year!
    Keep those words flowing :)

     
  • At 2:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Natasha,

    So wonderful to hear your husband's treatment is working.

    The picture is stunning!

    Mary

     
  • At 9:00 am, Blogger Kate Walker said…

    How great that there is good news on the chemo - I'm so happy for you and your lovely Nigel. Please give him a hug- or several - from me too. Let's hope that this is the upturn in the year for you - you so deserve it.

    I'll save my hugs for you for when I see you in person.
    Till then

    Love

    Kate

     
  • At 10:10 am, Blogger Michelle Styles said…

    Oh wonderful news about the chemo. My fingers are firmly crossed and prayers winging your way.

    The picture is beautiful.
    I am looking forward to seeing you and your smile next week.

     
  • At 1:23 pm, Blogger Ally Blake said…

    What fantabulous news Natasha!!! Add another hug for your hubby from me.

    And what a gooorgeous picture. No wonder you're all inspired, dspite Trish's constant nagging I would think ;).

    So jealous of upcoming AMBA. Sigh...

    Ally

     

Post a Comment

<< Home