Natasha Oakley - British Romance Author

Writer of tug-at-the-heartstrings, feel-good romance for Harlequin Mills & Boon

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Trials and tribulations.

I'm emerging from my self-imposed exile. I'd like to tell you it's because I've finished my book but, actually, I haven't. I've come to the painful conclusion I've been writing the wrong story.

At least you'd think it would be painful but it isn't in the slightest. The relief of going 'nope, this isn't going to work and I'm going to stop writing it' is a huge release. I've discovered some interesting things about myself. I am actually quite disciplined. (My mum would have been so surprised!) I am a writer who puts my bottom in the chair. I really tried but sometimes that just isn't enough.

The characters are fine. I know them. But I'm going to put them somewhere else and doing slightly different things. And I'm having a ball. Just wish I'd called a halt three weeks ago.

Meanwhile ...

Today, in the world of Harlequin Mills & Boon authors, is pay day. It's when the bi-annual royalty statements arrive and, in my case because I like to actually see it, a cheque. Always nice!

So I decided I would walk into town, let my story ferment a little, and pay in my cheque. About two miles from home the rain began. I continued on, optimistic it would blow over. Humph. You know what's coming next, don't you?

I went to the bank, stopped for coffee (and shortbread), hid in the library ... until I had no choice but to start walking back so I could pick offspring 5 up from school.

It was TORRENTIAL. And, yes, I do mean to shout. This is the best picture I could find but she's lucky - I was wearing a white skirt.

So, that's a whole lot of people who know far too much about me! I'm sooooo going to put that in a book some day.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 9:45 pm, Blogger Janet Ch said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 1:01 am, Blogger Romance, Rumours and Rogues said…

    LOL, you absolutely must put that in a book!!

    And so glad your story is working better now. :)

     
  • At 9:01 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Good call, Natasha, and yet having spent the whole (oh yes... the WHOLE) of the children's holiday battling my deadline and feeling like my brain was in a liquidiser, I can guess that the days leading up to that decision can't have been easy. Glad you've taken back control!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home